Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stuff Christians Do

Isaiah 1: 13-15, 17

13 Stop bringing meaningless offerings!
Your incense is detestable to me.
New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—
I cannot bear your evil assemblies.
14 Your New Moon feasts and your appointed festivals
I hate with all my being.
They have become a burden to me;
I am weary of bearing them.
15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,

I will hide my eyes from you;
even if you offer many prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are full of blood;

Prayer, quiet time, church, Bible Study, care group, donate money to some cause, a mission trip here or there.

These verses from Isaiah really struck me last night. I have often been discouraged because I didn't feel like I was doing enough Christianese things. My quiet times were erratic at best, going to church was kind of a chore, I never got around to sponsoring that Compassion Kid, I don't like women's conferences or for that matter any type of church conference....
My faith was basically a giant to do list. If I did enough "Christian things" I didn't feel as guilty.

But the thing is God didn't create us just to go church and become a better person. I think we spend so much time on the importance our personal relationship with God, that we forget about the world around us. Of course I think it's important to have a personal relationship, but it's more than just having a quiet time for 30 minutes in the morning.

Most churches have activities going on almost every day or night of the week. I feel guilty every time I hear of another conference happening at the church because I know I won't go. Once I tried going to an weekend women's retreat with my church and had to leave early because I couldn't take it. Earlier this year we read a book that made the observation that sometimes Christians make terrible neighbors. I have to agree. We spend so much time doing things for and with our church we forget about the people around us. I think it is important to be involved at your church, but chances are when you look around you will only see people that look and think like you. Is that truly a reflection of the Kingdom of God?

In these verses God is telling Isaiah he is weary of all the meaningless so called righteous things we do. That is a relief to me. Not only am I weary of church things, God is too. But God doesn't stop there, he tells us what we should be doing instead.

17 learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.

In the words of Jessica Thompson God wants us to "get off our bench." This year for me I want to stay off the bench. I think Mission year has been a step. But it's a continuous process. Sometimes we have to intentionally put ourselves in places where we can seek justice or encourage the oppressed. It's not always easy or comfortable but to me it makes my faith real.

No comments:

Post a Comment