Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Report card time

So my service site this year is an elementary school. For much of the day I work on reading skills with a small groups of students. While I love the flexibility of not having the same kids all day, it can also be frustrating to not have the same kids all day!!! It's harder to establish a rapport with them, plus I don't see their actual grades or test them.

I work with about 7 third graders every morning on reading skills they need to pass their state exams. We do everything from fluency, to phonics, to test taking strategies. For the first part of the year I basically created my own lessons according to where I felt they needed instruction. Reading a-z has been an extremely helpful resource to me. Report cards went out yesterday and I am so happy to say that most of the kids in my group had their reading grade significantly increase! I can't tell you how good that makes me feel. When you only see a group of kids for an hour a day it's harder to monitor their progress. It's good to know that what I am doing is working!

I do miss having my own classroom though and I am kinda hoping that's in my future for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment