Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday = not so bad!

Today was pretty good for a Monday. I am so proud of the accomplishments I am seeing in many of the kids with whom I work. Kendarious is becoming a reader. Today we read a whole book together. He is actually sounding out words and figuring them out, but he is also recalling most of this sight words. Best of all, he feels good about himself. Fifth grade today went much better than usual. The lesson was on the circumference of circles and my goal was to teach them how to use the formulas. They really seemed to catch on. Granted, this is because I broke the lesson up. State standards seem to push each kids along from topic to topic with out allowing enough time to truly master anything. I think many kids could understand if their teachers were given the time to truly teach instead of having to rush along their lessons to stay on scope and sequence.

Tonight it's my turn to cook for the group. I am making white chicken chili. I am happy about this for 2 reasons. #1 our meal is going to have chicken!!!!! #2 I love white chicken chili! I split Mavi's 3 layer bday cake into 6 layers, so tonight we have a whole other cake for desert too! Jamie and I also made molasses cookies last night. I can't wait for dinner!

1 comment: