Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Monday's with Mavi

I love my neighbors. We have had such a wonderful time becoming friends with the Mohammads from next door. It's been neat to see the connections. Mohammad is 16, Dustin and Ben and really invested into his life. Ben helps him with homework and Dustin found a private soccer team he could play on. Our house has become advocates for them. I can't imagine what it would be like to move to a new country. Even if you speak a little bit of the language more than likely you wouldn't be familiar with the customs.

Well Mavi, the 10 year old, has become incredibly special to me. One of our favorite things to do together is bake. She came over one night and helped me make truffles. We took some to her family and she was so excited. Ever since then she has been asking me to make them again with her so she could give them to her teachers. The other night her wish was granted. She came over and we made about 60 oreo truffles. She really didn't need my help at all. She was totally comfortable in our kitchen and made herself right at home. She was excited about school the next day! Charlotte (Anton's wife) is her reading teacher. She said the teachers were reaving about her wonderful deserts! Lately, she come over as soon as she knows I'm home from school and stays for hours. One night, her family was leaving to visit a friend and she decided she would rather stay with us. She was at our house until 10! I'm so thankful her family is comfortable enough with her to let stay at our home.

Monday night Ben and I had to make dinner. Sure enough, Mavi came over about 4 o'clock. I was making empanandas and they were much more time consuming than I had planned. Mavi, to the rescue. Mavi made the dough and Ben was going to try to roll it out, but he was really having a hard time. Mavi completely took over. She was rolling her dough into perfect circles, super thin, and then she even threw it up in the air like piza dough! This kid is a natural in the kitchen! If it wasn't for Mavi, I never would have finished dinner in time. When everyone came over for dinner we made sure to brag on Mavi! It was such a fun evening.

My feelings are bittersweet as I right this. Yesterday Mavi, her mother, and brother Ahmed, left to spend the next 3 months in Iraq visiting her sick grandmother and their family. While I am so glad she will have the opportunity to reconnect with her family, her roots, her culture, I will miss her dearly. She was so excited about going. She hasn't been in Iraq since she was too little to remember. Monday was the last time Mavi will be over for a while and that makes me sad. We spent a few hours at their house Monday night just hanging out with all their friends for one last night. It was great. I am going to miss Mavi terribly but I am thankful for all the wonderful times we have had so far! We already told them we are going to have a HUGE welcome home party in Feb! They seemed to like that idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment