Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Birthday Parties

Yesterday I walked home from school. There was a birthday party going on about 3 houses down from us. I recognized a few kids from my school including one I work with everyday (I didn't know he lived in my neighborhood). We stopped and talked to the kids and then the family invited to stay and have hotdogs. It was a great time. The mom, Monica, attened the Hillside Halloween party, where I briefly met her. Actually, the party was part of the reason she wanted us to stay for their party. The Halloween party was a way for us to meet our neighbors, in return we were invited to a neighbors party! Had it not been for the Halloween party we would not have made that connection. Monica actually has been asking been how she can become more involved in the neighborhood. Ben is in charge of the neighborhood watch through his service site, DASH, and has been really trying to bring our neighborhood together.

Joining a strangers house for a birthday party might seem a bit wierd and awkward. But we weren't strangers anymore. Hopefully the door is opened now on a new friendship. I told you Halloween Parties are a good idea! On a side note, had I been driving home I probably wouldn't have stopped. Walking makes your sooo much more intentional about talking to people. I love the fact that my school is close enough to me house to walk! I guess it's a kind of blessing to not always have the luxury of a car!

No comments:

Post a Comment