Thursday, November 12, 2009

Contentment

Contentment. It seems almost impossible to actually be content living in todays consumer driven world. Just as soon as you think you finally have everything you need, a commerical on TV reminds you of something you don't have. Just as soon as you buy a house, you drive past a neighborhood that is nicer. Everyday our brains are flooded with images of things we think we need. I think simplicity was one of the things that drew me to Mission Year. I have a deep longing to be content, but it's like I don't know how to do it.

I thought Mission Year would teach me to be content with the material things I have. I figured after doing Mission Year I would be happy with my car, happy with the household things I own, happy with the clothes I have, have less of a desire to consume more. And I was partly right. I have learned to be more content with my belongings. I haven't gone to Target for new clothes in almost 3 months, and I haven't even minded it! I haven't really minded not eating out, (still working on that one!) But what I didn't realize was that I would learn to be content with the non material things I have.

Having the ability to be content with my car is actually a priviledge. Our neighbors, John and Junior, don't even have a junky car to be content with. They are almost always at home on their porch. They are basically confined to a very small space due to lack of transporation. I'm not sure if I could handle staying home all day. Sometimes I've wished I was something besides a teacher, it's not a very glamorous job. Being a volunteer teacher has actually made me more content with teaching. I love teaching, and I absolutely love being at school. Having a job, much less the ability to have a volunteer job is a priviledge. Some of my neighbors don't have any sort of job, not even a crappy one. I'm lucky. I get to leave my house everyday and do something I love.

Having the ability to drive with a license is actually a privilege. Not only do I have a car, but I can drive without the fear of being stopped and fined. Our friends from Mexico and Guatemala don't have that privilege. The men take a risk every time they get into their car to drive to work. And the women, well many of the ladies we have met don't even know how to drive. They are trapped inside their homes during the day. At Christmas, I am going to drive to Texas in my car. I get to see my friends and family. I'm lucky. Norma and Arturo can't visit their family. In fact when Norma's father passed away several months ago, she couldn't even go to the funeral.

Funny thing is though, just when I think I'm finally content I go to Atlanta and drive through a nice part of town, see stores that I used to shop in, see the houses I wish I could afford to buy. I think being intentional is a big part of being content. We have to intentionally keep our self away from things that make us uncontent. It's hard, really hard but I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment