Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eggplants

Last night was my turn to cook for our community meal. And the meal had to serve 14 people.
Margareta works at an Organic Farm 2 days a week and brings home veggies and eggs or whatever else is in season. We had eggplant, okra, and sting beans in the fridge so I figured I should use those things. Our goal is to try to make our community meals tasty, but CHEAP!!!
I decided to make eggplant lasagna. I actually was really ambitious and was going to use eggplants as the noodles but decided as a group we needed to step into eggplants easy! Two of our roommates had never tried eggplant before and eggplant noodles would have been a little much, even for me.

The meal actually turned out really well.
Veggie Lasagna
1 box of noodles
1 can of ricotta cheese
1 can of cottage cheese
2 cans of tomato sauce
1 large bag + 1/2 of another one of mozzarella cheese
veggies I used 2 eggplants, 2 zucchini, mushrooms, red peppers, and okra

I roasted all the vegetables in olive oil before cooking which made them taste delicious.
I actually only needed the 2 can of cheeses. I mixed the cottage and ricotta cheeses and made it S T R E T C H out. There was enough for 2 lasagnas plus a little one with out veggies.
It was delicious!

As for the green beans, I boiled them for about 4 minutes, tossed them in olive oil and lemon juice, toasted a small package of almonds (my splurge) and mixed it all together, YUMMY!

It was not bad for my first big meal, as for the next time though I might need ideas for more meatless dishes.

1 comment: