Thursday, October 22, 2009

Community Living

Some people probably think it's kinda weird that Ben and I decided to do Mission Year and move in with other couples we don't know. I think Ben and I have a track record of doing things that not everyone else does! (moving to New York, getting married and living in different towns, owning a guinea pig...) Last weekend in Waco at Hope Fellowship we discovered there are lots of people who do things that seem even stranger than us! Don't think I mean weird by saying strange, I mean different. The gathering at Hope Fellowship included four main intentional communities plus several other smaller communities. I think I learned that Reba Fellowship in Illinois has been around for over 50 years! Most of the people we met actually live in homes shared with other members of the community/church. Most of these group practice something called common purse where they share their money too!

Ben and I became interested learning about intentional communities after reading The Irrestible Revolution and learning about the Simple Way. Moving in with others, sharing your things, and cutting costs sounded like a great idea, a practical idea. It sounded like an easy thing to do, I kinda wondered why more people in America don't live this way. This year I am beginning to realize, being part of a Christian intentional community is much more than simply sharing things and cutting costs. Members of a Christian intentional community also have to share a common vision and a desire to see a Christ centered change in the lives of their cities and communities. I think I am beginnnig to catch a glimpse of that vision.

But I have realized that sharing a common vision doesn't mean all members of the community are going to share the vision in the same manner. A community is full of all personalities. Part of living in an intentional community is learning to appreciate the uniqueness each member brings to the group. We have very different personalitesm visions, and even life goals in our Mission Year home. It's not always easy for us to find common ground,but the cool thing is each of have gifts that the rest of us need. Sometimes I don't see it that way, but it really is true.

God has called all of us to live in community (I don't mean you have to live in the same house!) with one another, we need each other. Where we are weak others in our community are strong and visa versa. Truly sharing in each others lives isn't easy, in fact it's downright hard. But God never promised us a live of ease. This year isn't easy, but it's sooo good. I hope my roommates are learning to understand my "uniqueness" as I am theirs!

Oh yeah, at Hope Fellowship we some people shared their unique talents with the group, everything from soap making, to bicycle maintance. I went to the sewing class and used a sewing machine for the first time ever. I made a table runner, and you know what. I can't wait to sew again! It's was actually really fun. Community living is full of suprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment